Reissuing or Replacing Series HH or Series H Savings Bonds

On this page:

Reissuing or replacing?

Reissuing: If you want to change who owns the bond or who benefits from the bond in the future, or if there is a major error, we must reissue the bond. That's what we cover on this page.

Replacing: If your paper bond is lost, stolen, mutilated, or you never received it, you can file a claim application (not a reissue request) for the bond. Replacing a Lost or Destroyed HH or H Bond.

What changes do NOT require reissuing the bond?

We do not reissue bonds for these changes:

Situation What to do
Name change because you got married No reissue needed. When you cash in the bond, sign both your name that is on the bond and your married name.
Minor typo in your name No reissue needed. When you cash in the bond, sign your correct name.
Address change No reissue needed.
Wrong Social Security Number No reissue needed, but we need the correct SSN. For instructions on what to write and where to send the information: Correcting a Social Security Number on a Savings Bond.

When must Treasury reissue the bond?

We must reissue a bond in these situations:

  • to correct a major error
  • for a court-ordered change
  • when you change the beneficiary
  • when you change who owns or co-owns the bond, as permitted by regulations. (To ask what is permitted for this situation, contact Treasury Retail Securities Site, P.O. Box 214, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214; phone 800-553-2663.

What form do I use?

The following sections tell you what to do for each situation that requires reissuing a bond.

Each form is available in two ways:

  • We can mail you a paper copy.
  • You can fill out a form on-line, print it, sign it, and mail it to us.

The on-line forms are in Adobe Acrobat PDF. If you do not have Acrobat Reader on your computer, download the free Acrobat Reader

To correct a major error

For a major error, such as
  • the first or last name of an owner, co-owner or beneficiary is not on the bond
  • a name is misspelled and it's not a minor typo

For a court-ordered change

  • A court has appointed a guardian, conservator, or similar representative for the estate of a living owner or co-owner. This may happen for
    • a minor (child)
    • a person who cannot handle his or her own affairs due to age or illness
    • an absentee
  • Everyone named in the registration on the bond has died. A court has appointed a legal representative for the estate of the person named in the bond's registration who died last.

When you change the beneficiary

You want to

  • add a beneficiary
  • remove a living beneficiary
  • change the name of a beneficiary because of annulment, divorce, or court order. Note: Change for a new married name is not required.

When you change who owns or co-owns the bond

The owner has died (or all co-owners have died) Death of a Savings Bond Owner
You want the new owner to be a personal trust estate
You want to
  • add another person as a co-owner
  • change a beneficiary to a co-owner
  • change the name of an owner or co- owner because of annulment, divorce, or court order. Note: Change for a new married name is not required.
  • name a new owner or co-owner instead of the current owner or co-owner
  • remove a co-owner (or all co-owners).

Who must approve a change?

Situation Who must sign
Two living people co-own the bond and want to make a change that is allowed. (if you are not sure whether the change you want to make is allowed, check with Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, P.O. Box 214, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214, phone 800-553-2663. Both co-owners must sign the form
Two people co-own the bond and one needs to make a minor change such as changing his or her own name Only the owner making the change about himself or herself must sign the form
The owner wants to change the beneficiary The owner can make this change. The beneficiary does not have to agree to the change.

Must I pay taxes when Treasury reissues a bond?


Consider this situation: You were the owner of the old bond. You are not named as owner or coowner on the reissued bond. In that case, you are responsible for reporting any interest shown in the tax-deferral legend, if any, on the old bond and semiannual interest paid to you while you owned that bond. You report that on your federal income tax return.

IRS Forms 1099-INT is mailed to you after the end of the calendar year.

Reissue will not be made if the request is received less than one full calendar month before the final maturity date of a bond.

Tax Considerations for HH Bonds

Replacing a Lost or Destroyed HH or H Bond

To get a replacement for a lost or destroyed HH or H bond:

  1. Fill out Form FS Form 1048.
    You can do this in either of two ways:
    • Fill out form FS Form 1048 (download or order)

      After filling out the form, print it so you can sign it in front of, and have your signature certified by, an appropriate certifying official at your financial institution.
  1. Take the filled-out form to your financial institution to have a certifying official certify your signature.
  2. Mail the completed form to

    Treasury Retail Securities Site
    P.O. Box 2186
    Minneapolis, MN 55480-2186


    Once you receive replacement bonds or payment for lost bonds, the original bonds are no longer yours. They belong to the U.S. government. If you later find the original bonds, please return them to Treasury Retail Securities Site, P.O. Box 214, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0214.

    The replacement bond will have the same issue date as the original bond.