Selling Treasury Bills, Notes, Bonds, or TIPS
You can hold Treasury bills, notes, bonds, or TIPS until they mature, or sell them before they mature.
To sell a Treasury bill, note, bond, or TIPS held in TreasuryDirect or Legacy Treasury Direct, first transfer the security to a bank, broker, or dealer, then ask the bank, broker, or dealer to sell it for you. (NOTE: Legacy Treasury Direct is being phased out.)
How you transfer a security to a bank, broker, or dealer depends on whether you hold the security in TreasuryDirect or Legacy Treasury Direct.
- For a security held in TreasuryDirect:
- Go to "Manage Direct"
- Choose "Transfer securities"
- Identify the security or securities you want to transfer
- Choose "External Transfer"
- Click the link for the form FS Form 5511, "TreasuryDirect Transfer Request"
- Complete FS Form 5511 and mail it as directed on the form
- For a security held in Legacy Treasury Direct, complete "Security Transfer Request" (FS Form 5179) and mail it as directed on the form