It’s Always a Good Time for Financial Planning
Whether saving for retirement, a home or a college education, everyone wants a simple and reliable way to take control of their financial future. Now, you can help people find out how easy it can be to get a fresh start on their long-term savings goals. Through Ready.Save.Grow., the U.S. Department of the Treasury offers tools and resources for nonprofit organizations, employers and financial institutions to share with those interested in affordable, safe and convenient Treasury savings options like U.S. Savings Bonds.
U.S. Savings Bonds can be bought online for just $25. Savings bonds are a trusted savings option that protects your principal and offers other advantages:
- Bonds earn interest for up to 30 years.
- The interest earned is exempt from state and local income tax.
- The interest earned by eligible owners may also be exempt from federal income tax if bond proceeds are used to pay qualified education expenses.
A free account in TreasuryDirect—the Treasury Department’s secure, online system—allows savers to conveniently buy, manage and cash digital savings bonds 24/7. It only takes about ten minutes to set up a TreasuryDirect account. Just follow these simple steps:
- Have your Social Security number, bank account information and e-mail address handy.
- Go to www.treasurydirect.gov.
- Click on the TreasuryDirect link under “Open an Account”, fill out the online form, and submit it to TreasuryDirect.
- Receive an e-mail with your TreasuryDirect account number.
Download and share this step-by-step tip sheet to help people set up an account in TreasuryDirect and save for tomorrow—today.
Help People Convert Paper Savings Bonds to Digital with SmartExchange
U.S. Savings Bonds have gone paperless, so encourage paper savings bond holders to make the SmartExchange to digital bonds. Digital savings bonds offer the same benefits as paper savings bonds, plus they allow you to:
- Stop worrying about misplacing or storing paper bonds.
- Buy or cash savings bonds online any time.
- Keep all of your bonds in one convenient location.
- View your account activity and current bond values.
- Continue earning interest the way your paper bonds did.
Converting paper savings bonds to digital is easy, just follow these simple steps:
- Step one: Sort your paper savings bonds into groups.
- Step two: Login to your TreasuryDirect account to access the TreasuryDirect savings bond conversion feature.
- Step three: Enter your paper savings bond information to complete the conversion process.
- Step four: Mail your paper savings bonds to TreasuryDirect.
To help paper bond holders in your community convert to digital bonds, hand out this step-by-step SmartExchange tip sheet.
For more information, visit the Converting Paper Savings Bonds section of the Ready.Save.Grow. website.