Selling Treasury Notes
You can hold Treasury notes until they mature or sell them before they mature.
To sell a Treasury note held in TreasuryDirect or Legacy Treasury Direct, first transfer the note to a bank, broker, or dealer, then ask the bank, broker, or dealer to sell it for you.
How you transfer a note to a bank, broker, or dealer depends on whether you hold the note in TreasuryDirect or Legacy Treasury Direct.
- For a note held in TreasuryDirect:
- Go to "Manage Direct"
- Choose "Transfer securities"
- Identify the note or notes you want to transfer
- Choose "External Transfer"
- Click the link for FS Form 5511, "TreasuryDirect Transfer Request"
- Complete FS Form 5511 and mail it as directed on the form
- For a note held in Legacy Treasury Direct, complete "Security Transfer Request" (FS Form 5179) and mail it as directed on the form