Skip Navigation

Get help for lost, stolen, or destroyed EE or I savings bond

If your paper savings bond is lost, stolen, destroyed, mutilated, or you never received it, you can ask for replacement.

You have 2 options - electronic bond or cash the bond

If you choose to replace your bond, your replacement EE or I savings bond will be electronic. If you have a TreasuryDirect account, we put the bond in your account. If you don't yet have a TreasuryDirect account, consider opening one.

If you do not want the electronic bond, you can ask us to cash the bond. Normally, you must hold the bond for a year before cashing it. However, if the problem occurred because you were in a disaster, we may waive that requirement. See Affected by a disaster.

The information we need about the bond

For us to replace or cash your EE or I savings bond, we need the following information:

Do you know the bond's serial number? What we need
Yes The serial number of the bond
No This information about the bond:
  • The specific month and year in which the bond was bought
  • The buyer's Social Security Number
  • The owner's (and co-owner’s) names, including middle names or initials
  • The owner's mailing address

How to let us know about your problem

  1. Get FS Form 1048.
  2. Fill out the form. Do NOT sign it yet.
  3. Sign the form in front of a notary or authorized certifying officer (see instructions on form).
  4. Mail the filled-out, signed, and certified form to us:

    Treasury Retail Securities Services
    P.O. Box 9150
    Minneapolis, MN 55480-9150

What to do if you later find the bonds

Once we replace or cash your bonds, the original bonds no longer belong to you. They belong to the U.S. government.

If you later find the original bonds, please return them to us. Send them to Treasury Retail Securities Services at the address above.

We're Here to Help

8 a.m. to 5 p.m. U.S. Eastern Time (SLGS 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)